COVID-19 Update (June 7-13)
Published June 15, 2021
To keep COVID-19 information and resources at the forefront of our discussions, we will send out a recap of confirmed cases at Newport News Shipbuilding every week. Confirmed case information will also continue to be published each week in Currents. Supervisors are expected to cascade this information to teams weekly and reinforce the need for continued vigilance.
- Cases reported last week: 6
- Total cases at NNS: 3,581
- Number of NNS employees medically cleared to return to work: 2,951
- See case details at nns.huntingtoningalls.com/411.
- Newport News Shipbuilding has updated its COVID-19 protocols for onsite meetings and classes with regard to mask wearing, social distancing and other protective measures. The new policy from Environmental, Health and Safety can be viewed here. Please note there is no longer a 25-person limit on these events.
- Effective June 14, the COVID-19 hotline will be operational from 6 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Employees who are directed to test must contact the hotline at 1-844-243-8749, Option 4, before testing to avoid being turned away. The test center is at the Old Apprentice School Gym, Bldg. 601 and accommodates both symptomatic and asymptomatic employees. It is open Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information about the new COVID-19 test process, please email [email protected]. All testing passes/notifications are to be emailed to [email protected].
- NNS employees are required to self-report if they have received a vaccine in the community, giving the company a more accurate picture of vaccinations across the workforce. To record your status, log on to your UPoint account from www.hiibenefits.com. Then click the COVID-19 Self-Reporting Banner at the top of the page and follow instructions. If you received a vaccine at the NNS Vaccination Site, there is no need to self-report.
- NNS no longer requires fully vaccinated employees to wear masks. Unvaccinated employees and those going through the vaccination process must still wear a face covering while at work and are subject to discipline, up to and including termination, if found to be unvaccinated and not wearing a mask and unable to maintain social distance. Unvaccinated employees can remove their masks ONLY in the following instances at NNS:
- If you are not moving from one place to another and if you are 6 feet from another person.
- When requested by Security for identity verification.
- When wearing NNS-approved respirators to perform your job.
- When performing hot work.
- Huntington Ingalls Industries employees have until June 20 to complete a voluntary survey regarding potential reimbursement for paid leave related to COVID-19. To determine if paid leave qualifies for reimbursement, eligible employees can fill out a survey using their personal device or computer. HII will request reimbursement from the federal government for COVID-19-related leave costs. Eligible employees – those who took paid leave from March, 15, 2020, through March 28, 2021 – should have received a letter from Ernst & Young about the survey. If you misplaced the letter or believe you should have one, contact EY at 1 833-968-0936 weekdays from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. or email [email protected]. For more information, visit the HII CARES Act Paid Leave Survey webpage.