COVID-19 Vaccine Program Update
Published March 30, 2021
A steady flow of vaccines and an onsite vaccination center provide shipbuilders with a tremendous opportunity to be vaccinated, which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) indicates is the best way to put the COVID-19 pandemic behind us.
Vaccination is a personal choice, and based on questions and concerns we’ve received from employees, below are a few updates that may help employees make the decision that is best for them.
- Newport News Shipbuilding’s vaccination program has expanded to include subcontractors and leased employees. We plan to expand it again to include retirees and employees’ dependents once all shipbuilders who want to be are vaccinated.
- Shipbuilders can now be vaccinated 45 days after testing positive for the virus. Previously, the NNS medical team required shipbuilders wait 90 days after a positive COVID-19 test.
- Fully vaccinated employees must continue to wear masks, maintain social distance and wash their hands. The CDC has eased some restrictions for fully vaccinated people, but it has not changed its guidance for manufacturing facilities regarding protective equipment. Likewise, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires continued mask wearing and social distancing. NNS is closely monitoring CDC and OSHA guidance and will make adjustments as needed.
- Vaccines are not mandatory but encouraged, and it is important that supervisors support shipbuilders’ vaccination decisions. For employees who do not have company email, waterfront supervisors need to determine who on their teams wants to be vaccinated and assist with coordination. Shipbuilders may also schedule their own vaccination appointments by calling the COVID-19 Hotline at 1-844-243-8749, option 6, or at these sign-up stations:
- 8:30-10 p.m. on Tuesday, March 30, in the Modular Outfitting Facility (MOF).
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 31, in the MOF.
- 8:30-10 p.m. on Wednesday, March 31, in the Rafted Module Facility (RMF).
- 1-2 p.m. on Thursday, April 1, in the RMF.
- 5:30-7 a.m. on Thursday, April 1, at Outfitting Berth 1.
If you have additional questions about scheduling or rescheduling an appointment, please email the scheduling team at [email protected]. Please direct all other COVID-related questions to [email protected].
Thank you for doing your part to stop the spread of the virus.
The COVID-19 Crisis Action Group