Help NNS Conserve Energy
Published February 2, 2021
Newport News Shipbuilding’s O46 Energy Team is encouraging shipbuilders to do their part to reduce unnecessary energy use with a new awareness campaign.
As part of the campaign, posters featuring shipbuilders and tips to reduce energy consumption will be displayed across the shipyard. “We need everyone to be ‘energy engaged’ so we can have a healthier and more efficient workplace,” said Brian Johnston II (PEER O46).
Shipbuilders can help reduce energy consumption by:
- Using natural lighting in lieu of artificial lighting when possible.
- Turning off lighting, appliances, equipment and electronics when not in use.
- Inspecting air, gas and welding lines for leaks before the start and end of each shift. When not in use unplug and turn off.
- Encouraging energy innovations and strategies with your team.
- Taking responsibility and reporting any energy concerns to the O46 Energy Team or your supervisor.
“Energy conservation relies on the sustainable choices we make today,” Johnston said. “Please take responsibility; saving energy today makes for a better tomorrow.”
For energy-saving opportunities at NNS, call the Energy Awareness Hotline at 586-6880. Call the Facilities Service Desk at 688-9888 to report leaks or needed repairs. View a poster from the campaign on MyNNS.