One City Marathon Traffic, Road Closures and Parking Information
Published March 2, 2023
The One City Marathon is expected to bring hundreds of runners, spectators and guests to downtown Newport News on Saturday, March 4, and Sunday, March 5. Employees working over the weekend can expect traffic delays and congestion around the shipyard due to street and road closures that intersect the race route. Cars and pedestrians will be able to cross the race route only when race officials or law enforcement personnel signal that the path is clear of runners and is safe.
Streets and roads around the shipyard that will be closed over the weekend include:
- 25th Street from Washington Ave. to West Ave. from 8 a.m. Saturday to 8 p.m. Sunday.
- 42nd Street from Huntington Ave. to Washington Ave. from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday.
- Washington Ave. from 42nd to 25th streets from 6 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday.
- 70th Street at Huntington Avenue
- 72nd Street at Warwick Boulevard
In each case, the intersection will be impacted from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday. River Road is an alternate route.
Parking will be restricted along portions of Huntington and Washington avenues as well as numbered streets in that area from as early as Friday to Sunday afternoon. Those areas include:
- Huntington Ave. from 57th to 42nd streets from 6 p.m. Saturday to 3 p.m. Sunday.
- Washington Ave. from 44th to 25th streets from 6 p.m. Saturday to 3:30 p.m. Sunday.
- 42nd Street from Huntington Ave. to Washington Ave. from 6 p.m. Saturday to 3 p.m. Sunday.
- 26th Street from Washington Ave. to West Ave. from 6 p.m. Friday to 3 p.m. Sunday.
- 25th Street from Washington Ave. to West Ave. from 8 a.m. Friday to 8 p.m. Sunday.
Additionally, NNS parking facilities downtown will be used for the event. This includes the Bldg. 902 and Bldg. 903 garages, as well as the Bldg. 908 (Old Navy garage) and the Bldg. 902 surface lot. Please look carefully for “No Parking” signs.
View the full schedule of street closures, partial street closures, intersection closures and parking restrictions on the official One City Marathon website: www.onecitymarathon.com/plan-your-race.