Safety Tips for Pedestrians and Drivers
Published March 2, 2021
To view current parking information, please visit the NNS Parking & Transportation website.
Shipbuilders are reminded to use caution when walking or driving at Newport News Shipbuilding and outside of the shipyard. The company has no authority over the public streets outside of shipyard gates. However, the following tips can help keep pedestrians safe.
- Cross the street only at a designated crosswalk. Don’t cross in the middle of the street.
- Do not dart out into traffic from in between parked vehicles.
- Stop before you start to cross the street; look to the left, right and left again. Cross when it’s clear.
- Be careful at intersections, where drivers might have a tendency to not yield the right-of-way.
- Make eye contact with the driver before you cross in front of a vehicle.
- It is safest to walk on the sidewalk.
- Continue to look for traffic at all times.
- Look across all lanes of traffic you plan to cross and visually clear each lane before proceeding.
- Even if one motorist stops, do not assume drivers in other lanes can see you and will stop for you.
- Do not wear headphones or earbuds at any time, or talk on a cell phone while crossing.
- Look out for pedestrians at all times.
- Yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. Slow down and be prepared to stop when turning or otherwise entering a crosswalk.
- Follow the speed limit.
- Use extra caution in hard-to-see conditions or when backing up.