Shipbuilders Recognized as Outstanding Apprentices
Published March 16, 2021
Seven shipbuilders from The Apprentice School were selected by the Virginia Department of Labor and Industry as Outstanding Apprentices of the Year for 2020. The third annual conference was held virtually this year due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
The honor recognizes apprentices who have excelled in their respective programs in the areas of accuracy and efficiency; cooperation with supervisors and journeymen; initiative; leadership; decision-making ability; and outstanding accomplishments. The seven NNS apprentices selected for this year’s award are:
- Ian Carrillo, heavy metal fabrication
- Mark Emorski, non-destructive tester
- Emily Hudgins, electrician
- Steven Hux, metrology technician
- Molly Kranc, welder
- Colton Messick, sheet metal worker
- Matthew Plogger, machinist
A video of the virtual ceremony is available on the Virginia Department of Labor and Industry’s YouTube page.