Update Regarding Gas Shortage
Published May 14, 2021
Newport News Shipbuilding continues to remain in contact with state leaders regarding gas shortages as a result of the cyberattack that shut down the Colonial Pipeline earlier this week. The pipeline has since been restarted and fuel is more readily available, however, impacts are expected to continue into next week. As a result, NNS is making the following updates:
- Supervisors are encouraged to allow employees who are able to work from home to do so through the end of next week.
- The premium parking areas listed below will remain in place through Friday, May 21. As a reminder, any vehicle displaying an NNS hangtag with three or more people can park in these spaces. NNS Security will provide enforcement during the first two hours of each shift. After that, they will be open to any vehicle with a Zone A hangtag.
- North Yard (between van and handicap spaces near the ATM machine)
- Lot at 50th Street Gate (between 49th and 50th streets)
- Lot between 43rd and 44th Street at Washington Avenue
- In front of Bldg. 520 (41st Street and Washington Avenue
- NNS shuttle service between 1:30 a.m. and 5 a.m., as well as buses to the NNS Vaccination Site, is suspended through May 21. Employees impacted by these changes who need transportation services should call NNS Taxi Services at (757) 846-7730.
- Business travel can resume Saturday, May 15, with vice president approval.
At this time, we do not expect a need for further updates. However, if updates are needed, communications will be sent to employees.